Thursday, February 28, 2013

Deathnote Volume 1 - Review

Deathnote - Volume 1

Written by Tsugumi Ohba

Art by Takeshi Obata

Deathnote may be one of my all time favorite books. It definitely is one of the most influential ones at least. This series (with a little help from Fullmetal Alchemist) is what reignited my interest in reading. I first read the series while I was a sophomore in high school, and it was the first time that I can ever remember not physically being able to put a book down. Deathnote is all about a college aged boy who finds a Shinigami's notebook (aptly titled a Deathnote) that has the ability to instantly kill anyone whose name is written in it. While this premise may sound a little crazy, it is one of the most well developed mysteries I have ever read. Taking twist and turns throughout, the series always keeps you on your toes and guessing at what is happening. What is even better about the book is the ethical questions it brings up within yourself. The whole book is placed in the areas of moral ambiguity, and you constantly have to decide which side is the "right" and "wrong". Deathnote is also one of those series that you get something new from every time you read it. Ive read through the series three or so times, and I've felt differently about the characters (and myself) every time I pick it up.

Deathnote Black Edition is a compilation of the first two volumes of the manga (of twelve total) and it is currently available in our YAF MANGA section. Come in and check it out!

Review by Levi Matheis

No comments:

Post a Comment